Subject: Re: NetBSD.ram for NetBSD/sparc 1.5
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/13/2000 16:23:25
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Rick Kelly wrote:

: >Let me clarify this statement:  The ramdisk kernels for 1.5_ALPHA* do NOT
: >work with many systems, particularly earlier sun4c's, because of the way
: >memory is set up on those machines at boot time.
: >
: >The new layout of the installer consists of a smaller ramdisk kernel with a
: >`microroot' which will extract the second boot file into a mfs and chroot to
: >that.  You could think of it as a two-stage install bootstrap.
:
: So I would need to set up a boot filesystem using rootfs.tgz in order
: to install 1,5 with the software provided?

There are a few directories depending on your method of installation.  The
"bootfs" should no longer be used directly!--there are symlinks in each of
these for different install methods:

.../NetBSD-1.5/sparc/installation/floppy/    (for floppy booting)
.../NetBSD-1.5/sparc/installation/miniroot/  (for swap-partition miniroot)
.../NetBSD-1.5/sparc/installation/netboot/   (for netbooting)
.../NetBSD-1.5/sparc/installation/tape/      (for tape booting)

These symlinks point back to files in bootfs.  Pretend that "bootfs" doesn't
exist.

: What is netbsd.ram.aout.gz? My SS1 didn't know what to make of it.

Meant primarily for netbooting, I believe, to go along with an extracted
"rootfs.tgz".

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/