Subject: Re: problem with boot.net and SS1
To: None <Ronald.vanderPol@surfnet.nl>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/13/2000 11:10:25
Andrei Petrov wrote:

> You need to make sure that you have all daemons properly configured
> and started. You need rpc.bootparamd, mountd and nfsd. rpc.bootparamd
> and mountd can be started with -d (debug mode) so you'll see what
> they got and how replied. Also you  should be able to nfs mount
> you client's root filesystem from another machine on network.
> Also netbsd's netboot FAQ is very helpful.
>
> --
>         Andrey

Ronald,
I don't know if it makes a difference but the boot.net I used,
if I remember rightly, was from sparc/installation/netboot
directory and not the one in the base.tgz set.
Worth a try ???

However it looks like the boot.net is working and it's
the kernel load that is failing.?
So check what Andrey is saying about the daemons.
See diskless (8) man page. In the description of each of
the tiny steps, check this carefully. The console, and/or
/var/log/messages  had error messages in here, that
showed me why my first stage tftp wasn't getting the
boot.net file. They were very helpful. Of course you
may have already done all this carefully:)) but this is
all I can think of.

For the kernel load bit you need the bootparam and nfs
stuff set up right like Andrey said. In addition to daemons
mentioned above you have to run rpcbind. At least from
memory I think I had to run this to get the nfs working,
so copy from /etc/default/rc.conf and change to YES in
/etc/rc.conf

# rpcbind is used to look up RPC-based services.
#
rpcbind=YES  rpcbind_flags="-l" # -l logs libwrap

Paul.

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 Ronald.vanderPol@surfnet.nl wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:
> >
> > > I have boot.net working for a SPARCstation 1+ .
> > > It's NetBSD version 1.4.2 though.
> >
> > OK, I ftp'ed NetBSD-1.4.2/sparc/binary/sets/base.tgz and extracted
> > ./usr/mdec/boot.net. I has the same problem.
> >
> > So I guess something else is wrong. I have ROM Rev 1.0. Are the
> > settings of the bootrom variables important? I have diag-switch?
> > false and boot-from le()netbsd.
> >
> > If I understand correctly you can compile a boot.net with debug
> > on. Does anybody have such a boot.net? I have no NetBSD system
> > for compiling.
> >
> >       rvdp

Paul   (pts@bom.gov.au)
National Climate Centre