Subject: Re: Ultra 5+ serial console support in NetBSD/SPARC64 1.5 release
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/10/2000 20:26:53
On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Greg Earle wrote:

# You guys are confusing me again.

Welcome to the sparc64 port :-) [apologies for toes stomped, et al.]

# Can I get on the Ultra 5+'s console monitor with keyboard and install the
# system and boot it to a console-only login prompt?

Assuming you can find a kernel that will boot on the beast, yes [I kept
not being able to find such a kernel, and it started out at 0xf00000000
or some ungodly high-moby address and it wiped my NVRAM, which I then
reset].

# Or do I have to hook up a cable to the serial port and use it via a remote
# machine connected to the serial port?

I wasn't sure that even THAT worked right yet.

# Matt's original comment that it was an Open Firmware driver made me think it
# was the former (I don't know what "com driver" means, sorry), but now it's
# sounding like that's not possible, unless there's "real kbd/ms drivers"?

Hopefully said drivers (and a host of others) are forthcoming; a U5's
built-on graphics card is pure shite, so something that would support
a Creator card would be excellent.  The best I've ever gotten a U5's
native card to do was 1280x1024x16.

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: safe ports in a storm.