Subject: Re: sparcstation network boot, dead NVRAM
To: None <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/06/2000 01:19:32
"Kjetil B. Thomassen" wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Paul (NCC/CS) wrote:
>
> > I can't boot a sparcstation 1+ off the network.

SNIP

> > Now, I don't know much about this NVRAM/ IDPROM
> > problem. So is it necessary for me to fix this first to boot
> > off the network? and if so what steps do I take to do this?
> > Or other?
>
> Yes, your NVRAM battery is dead, and it needs to be replaced. But, you can
> survive without it, but then you have to reset some vital information
> before you boot everytime the box looses power.
>
> This just happened to my ss2, and I am waiting for a new chip from ELFA.
> It should arrive any day soon.
>
> I followed the procedure at:
> http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html#GENERAL
>
> and, I am now up and running it as a boot and DHCP server.
>
> You will most certainly have to replace that chip, and that is explained
> elsewhere on that page.
>
> For future references, this page was found on the NetBSD/sparc
> documentation pages.
>
> I hope this will help you out!

Thanks very much this is great.
But could you confirm please, that this NVRAM problem
is what is stopping the network boot from working?

I just briefly wrote some crappy values to the NVRAM like
the web page suggests and the IDPROM err msg went
away. BUT the same network problem still exists. I probably
need to read the page alot more carefully but I just wanted
to confirm that I must fix this NVRAM problem in
order to fix the network problem?  yey/ney?

thanks.   Paul.

> Kjetil B.
> mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
> http://www.thomassen.priv.no/