Subject: sparcstation network boot
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/06/2000 00:12:10
Hi People,

I can't boot a sparcstation 1+ off the network.

using: boot le()netbsd -s
I get: "Did not receive expected loopback packet"

Watching network activity on the NetBSD server I don't
see any packets flying.
Then if I try at ok prompt on sparc: ok test-net
I get: "Internal loopback test ....
did not receive expected loopback packet"

Now, I also get "IDPROM checksum is incorrect" just
before the "did not receive expected loopback packet"
error message.  But I don't know if this is the problem,
because I also get this message before it boots sunos
off a local disk, but in the case of the disk the machine
STILL boots ok despite the error message. So originally
I thought that the IDPROM error message was not
important.

However maybe for the network boot it is VITAL?
What do you guys say?

See I'm not sure but I think the NVRAM battery is
stuffed and I get all ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff for the ethernet
address and it's host id is 7fffffff when the machine
boots. Booting off disk it seems to assign the ethernet
address 00:00:00:00:00:00 and all seems to work ok.

Now, I don't know much about this NVRAM/ IDPROM
problem. So is it necessary for me to fix this first to boot
off the network? and if so what steps do I take to do this?
Or other?

Guys, thanks for bearing with this long post, any help
very much appreciated:))

Paul.

Paul (NCC/CS).        (pts@bom.gov.au)
National Climate Centre