Subject: Re: EXB-4200c, the continuing saga...
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/04/2000 15:39:42
[ On Monday, December 4, 2000 at 15:18:06 (-0500), Greg A. Woods wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: EXB-4200c, the continuing saga...

I should also note that this EXB-4200 drive has recently complained
occasionally of some kind of hardware error at the time it is probed:

Dec  3 19:13:50 sometimes /netbsd: probe(esp0:4:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
Dec  3 19:13:50 sometimes /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Hardware Error
Dec  3 19:13:50 sometimes /netbsd:      ASC/ASCQ:  Diagnostic Failure on Component 0x51

This particular error hasn't appeared ever since I've added the second
hard drive to the system.

However just now while demonstrating the fact that it "works" I note it
again complained, but this time with a different component number
(twice, in approximately the same second):

st0(esp0:4:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x1b 00 00 00 00 00
    SENSE KEY:  Hardware Error
     ASC/ASCQ:  Diagnostic Failure on Component 0x60

And then immediately afterward it said:

st0: error 5 in st_load (op 0)

By comparing my command-line timestamps with the syslog timestamps it
appears this may have been when I tried to eject it with "eject st0" and
then had to manually re-eject it with the front-panel button.

(I despise the very idea of helical scan tape drives!  :-)

BTW, this particular vintage of kernel (~1.5F) paniced when I
accidentally had a SCSI-ID conflict:

	panic: esp0: invalid state: 5

BTW, it also crashed hard (reset the machine), after apparently
re-reading disk labels (because it noted there is not yet a label on the
new second drive) after power cycling the external disk box (unlike
recent i386 kernels which seem to be able to come back online just
fine even if their root disk is "lost" temporarily).

--
							Greg A. Woods