Subject: Re: NetBSD on SPARCserver 370 and 470
To: David Bonnafous <dbonnafo@laas.fr>
From: Sam Wilson <swilson@numbsafari.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/04/2000 11:17:25
I also happen to have a SPARCserver 4/470 w/ 128MB of ECC RAM. I once upon
a time had access to an older copy of SUN/OS that I was installing on it,
however I kept having problems with it being able to successfully write to
disk. I tried a number of different disks, without much success. I think
the SCSI card is busted.

Anyhow, in my talking with various other people I found out that the 4/470
used a different type of MMU. Apparently this is the cause of non-support
of the 4/470 (and I think the 4/490 as well...). I thought I had read that
Net 1.5 had added support for this MMU, but I haven't had the time (work
and school), or the disk space on my other boxes, to attempt a remote
install of NetBSD. I had previously attempted to remote boot OpenBSD and
found that it Watchdogs rather nicely ;-).

I had also heard that people were having a hard time getting the on-board
Ethernet to work. Someone told me this may have been related to the
complications with the MMU, however, I don't know why that would be the
case (unless the problems with the MMU were creating a "phantom" bug in
the ether support...). It may just be that the Ethernet is also
non-standard in this particular class of boxen.

If I can get my hands on some old SUN/OS again, and have the opportunity
to get a new SCSI board, then I don't see why it wouldn't be fun to try
and reverse engineer how the MMU and ethernet work. I mean... someone was
using this box with SUN/OS before, so I imagine it works... somehow...

Sam Wilson