Subject: re: sun4d support
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/02/2000 00:45:36
I have a SS1000 which I'm considering retiring (it's my main server,
bird.feral.com). It has all 4 system boards, but only 5 of 8 CPU modules are
still functional. I'm thinking of retiring it because it sucks down power &&
pushes out heat, and only has about 25GB of storage attached to it. I should
just drop ~800$ on a new DELL, put a 75GB IDE drive or two in there, run
Solaris x86 2.8 because it just plain works and is boring and call it a day.
I actually spent, all told, about 7K$ for all of it, less peripherals && SBus
cards, but, hey, this was a section 179 deduction for 1996 so I probably got
my money's worth.

If nobody else has some other free h/w to help with a sun4d port, I can
probably be convinced to loan this one out- especially if it's local 'coz I
don't want to have to figure out how to ship it (even a SS1000 is a PITA to
box && ship, and the box I got it in disappeared a while back).

You can often find good graveyard deals for sparc at www.solarsys.com.

-matt