Subject: Re: advice for a newbie, where to start
To: Michael M Delaney <mmdst23+@pitt.edu>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/03/2000 09:18:46
On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Michael M Delaney wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a tadpole sparcbook (3gx), and I was planning on installing NetBSD
> on it.  I've used linux on my pc for a few years, but havent played with
> bsd at all.  Should i start by installing stable on my sparcbook, or
> should I start by installing a stable release of net, or should i start
> with a snapshot of 1.5 Alpha 2?

I'd start with 1.5ALPHA_2 or even wait for the 1.5BETA release (should be
there soon, I believe).  The 1.5 release has a number of
enhancements/fixes/etc... for the tadpole, IIRC.  Although 1.4.2 does run
on the tadpole, I've heard it's not as smooth as it could be.

This is all second hand info, tho - I'm not lucky enough to own a tadpole,
so I can't speak from experience, but just from lurking on this list ;-)

Hope this helps,

-Jon
 "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."
 "Zing, zing zing zing!"
 "Keep away from the trout."
 -- The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer --
 "Who stole my lawn?"