Subject: Re: very strange ethernet problem
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/02/2000 22:19:00
On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 08:02:41PM -0700, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> You'd be surprised at how many 'cheap' patch cords you find on the
> shelf of your local discount computer store that has stranded cable
> crimped with connectors intended for solid cat5.
>
> doesn't take long to recognize them by sight.

Actually, I couldn't find connectors for solid wire anywhere, so I ended up
rewiring with stranded, using matching connectors (the two-prong contacts).
I'm noticing something weird now.  Every machine seems fine, but now my Mac
experiences poor throughput when the new cable connecting my two hubs is
connected to the same hub the Mac is on.  I'm puzzled.  But this thread should
be taken off-list, since we're outside the realm of NetBSD problems now.

Cheers,
-Mark