Subject: Re: very strange ethernet problem
To: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/02/2000 06:46:22
Thus spake Mark Abene
> A simple test I've done is connect either or both Suns to the LAN, and do
> a "ping -s 1024 foo", from one local machine to another local machine.  It
> doesn't matter if one of these machines is one of the Suns in question.
> I immediately see collisions, and missed echo replies.  Tcpdump shows
> NOTHING while the collisions are happening, simply echo requests with no
> replies.  No other traffic.
>
> VERY strange.
> Any theories???

No theories but a data point.  I have a network of Windows boxes with a
single NetBSD system (guess who :-) and recently we bought some new
DLink ethernet switches.  We moved everything off of the existing older
DLink switch and onto one of the new ones and saw the same behaviour
that you describe.  I didn't think of disconnecting my machine from
the net.  I will give that a try.  My system is an i386.