Subject: re: 1.5-Beta sparc64 snapshot available
To: Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
From: Andrei Petrov <and@genesyslab.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/01/2000 12:43:39
On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Murray Stokely wrote:

>   No matter what method of installation I do, I ALWAYS end up with
> file system full errors from sysinst, or from the shell.  Has anyone
> been able to successfully install this 1.5_BETA on an Ultra 5?  On any
> other type of system?  It really looks like the memory disk being
> created is not large enough.  Any more ideas?
>
> 	Murray

Does anything work at all? ls, ps, cat?
I don't think ramdisk.fs's kernel has memory disk in it.
At least when I tried to boot it, I didn't notice such possibility.
I can only boot kernel, no way to go further because my scsi is
not among supported yet.
What I think is happenning is that newfs and mount just coredump.
And that explains message 'file system full'. No space for core.

Is that possible that you don't have enought memory installed? How
much do you have? How much is available? you can check that in messages
while kernel is configuring.

I don't know an easy way to test what is in ramdisk.fs, I'll check that.

You can try to do installation from solaris. Not sure if
netbsd will work with solaris's ffs but I'd give it a try. The sequence
should be pretty much the same. Just do it from solaris.
The second opportunity is netboot. This one is my favorite. But you
need another box for server. There is detailed HOWTO on netbsd.org.

Cheers,
	Andrey