Subject: re: 1.5-Beta sparc64 snapshot available
To: Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
From: Andrei Petrov <and@genesyslab.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/31/2000 11:15:37
On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Murray Stokely wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, matthew green wrote:
> % what this is is sysinst finding an "old" ffs around and using fsck's upgrade
> % ability to upgrade it to a "newer" ffs.  "fsck_ffs -c 2 /dev/..." will upgrade
> % to level 2.
>
>   But that command will not be successfully executed because it
> complains that / is full.  I turned off logging in sysinst but that
> didn't solve the problem.  It still dies and will not complete the
> fsck because it says / is full.  What is it trying to write?  I don't
> have the NetBSD source around but I suppose I can go take a peak
> myself if noone knows where this is coming from.
>
> 	- Murray

Good thing about sysinst that it helps partition and label your drive,
and it initializes network for you. As soon as you already got it done:

1) exit sysinst
2) newfs /dev/sd1a
3) mount /deb/sd1a /mnt
4) newfs /dev/sd1[e-h] 		# whatever is supposed to be your /usr
5) mkdir /mnt/usr; mount /dev/sd1[e-h] /mnt/usr

I think you'll need network at this point to download sets

ifconfig hme0 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00 media auto
route add default [your router's ip]
ftp 192.168.1.2

6) cd /mnt
7) tar -xzpvf /mnt/INSTALL/*.tgz
8) cd /mnt/dev
9) ./MAKEDEV std
8) edit /mnt/etc/fstab
cat > /mnt/etc/fstab
/dev/sd1a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/sd1b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sd1[e-h] /usr ffs rw 1 2
^D
reboot from sd1a

I believe it enought for single-user boot, everything should work for
root at this point.

--
	Andrey