Subject: very strange ethernet problem
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org, port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/30/2000 18:41:46
Hello.  I'm experiencing a very strange problem on my home LAN, which I've
traced back to my two NetBSD boxes being the cause.  The two NetBSD boxes
in question are a Sun3/80 and a Sun4/110, running 1.4.2 and 1.3.3, respectively.
All of my machines, including the Suns, can do sustained transfers from the
internet through my gateway machine no problem.  The problem is in transfering
files locally, between any two machines.  I see CONSTANT collisions on my
hubs, and the file transfer throughput slows to a crawl.  If I unplug both
Suns (running NetBSD) from my LAN, everything is fine again!  Has anyone else
seen this?  What is it that NetBSD is doing to cause so many collisions???

Thanks,
-Mark