Subject: Re: 1.5-Beta sparc64 snapshot available
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/30/2000 14:27:54
  sysinst is dying at the begining of an upgrade or install with the
recent sparc64 snapshot.  I'm following the bootstrap from Solaris
instruction in the sparc64 FAQ from netbsd.org on a Ultra5 with
Solaris 8.  I format my disk and label in from within Solaris and then
I dd over the ramdisk image to the swap slice I created.  I then boot
from that swap slice and after giving it my TERM value (used sun-ss5
since that's all I heard about on this list) and sysinst is started.
  First sysinst complained because I was using an old inode format for
ffs so it wanted to run fsck_ffs -c /dev/rsd1a.  However that is
incorrect because the -c argument requires a number, so I got :

     Command: /sbin/fsck_ffs -c /dev/rsd1a
      Press any key to continue
fsck_ffs: -c flag requires a conversion level

  I read the man page for fsck_ffs on another system and decided to
try and run fsck_ffs -c N /dev/rsd1a where n was a number between 1-4
from a shell in sysinst.  When I tried to run this command it failed
with errors about / being full.

  Any ideas?  I'm getting close to installing this beast so I would
definately appreciate it if someone could help me get past the fsck
errors in sysinst.  Thanks.

  I don't think its a suprise to anyone but the installation documents
(INSTALL.more, INSTALL.txt, INSTALL.ps) are nearly useless as all of
the relevant commands are missing.  The FAQ on the web page is much
more useful for actually installing and this information should
really be integrated into the much more ubiquitous INSTALL
documents.  If I ever actually succeed in installation I'll provide
some diffs. ;)

	- Murray