Subject: Re: Changing mac address?
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/28/2000 16:48:49
Certain broken network switches (cabletron's come to mind running securefast)
ignore the spec that a machine connected to different logical networks
can use 1 MAC.

The cabletron's use the MAC as the key for switching traffic and ignores the
vlan information for the ports. So what ends up happening is it rounds robins
packets (and you see horrible packet loss) and packets on either network
appear on the other.

That's one application I've had to change MAC's before since I couldn't get
the switches changed out and Cabletron was convinced that a host returning
1 MAC for all cards was wrong. (Who cares about standards....)
All the new cards allow you to do is have a nvram env variable that specifies
the card to use it's own mac rather than the station mac. By default they
still use the station.

James