Subject: Re: 1.5-Beta sparc64 snapshot available
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/28/2000 00:31:59
	> 	  According to the release notes (INSTALL.txt:453-455), this snapshot
	> 	does not support the serial port, keyboard, or mouse of PCI based
	> 	systems.  If this is correct?  Is this port still unusable on Ultra
	> 	5/10/etc class PCI workstations?
	>
	> None of those devices are supported in 1.5.  1.5 uses the PROM
	> console on PCI machines.  The keyboard/mouse on a 16550 is supported
	> in -current but that code is not very stable right now and won't
	> be in 1.5.

	Pardon mon stupidity, but ...

	How do you use an Ultra 5+ or Ultra 10 if there is no keyboard, mouse or
	serial port support?  If it's headless you need the serial port support to
	run a serial console, oui?  If it's not headless, you need keyboard and
	mouse support to use the monitor and X11, oui?

	What am I missing here?

	(I suspect it's in the "1.5 uses the PROM console on PCI machines" comment,
	 but I don't know exactly what that entails.)

Look at src/sys/arch/sparc64/dev/pcons.c.  It attaches if no other device
claims to be the console.  That way we can have the console run
on unsupported hardware.

	I'm curious because at work I use NetBSD/SPARC on a Sun SPARCstation 20/71,
	and there's pressure on me to replenish the machine with an Ultra 5+ (an
	umbrella organization is giving us money to replenish systems with, and
	just about everyone else in my organization has an Ultra 5+ on their desktop).
	So I'm keen to know when the Ultra 5+/10 will be as reasonably well supported
	as the SS20's - at least, in a headless mode (I run my 20 headless nowadays).

Well, a U5 will give you better cpu performance but probably can't
keep up with a 20 if you need i/o throughput.

Eduardo