Subject: Re: sun4u-5 boot hangs...
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/25/2000 13:10:58
On 25 Oct 2000 eeh@netbsd.org wrote:

# No, cross compiling the kernel is easy.  Just build a toolchain
# in src/gnu/dist/toolchain for sparc64-netbsd.  Cross compiling
# userland is hard.

Buh?!?

Is that because there's some sparc64-dependent stuff hanging out
in the libs, etc?  (I would think that one could draw at least some
of the semantics from the alpha port which is 64-bit native, is it
not?  Obviously the MD stuff needs are different.)

"There's more to this compiler stuff than meets the eye."  I knew
someone trying to write a m68k compiler on a pyramid and for
some reason he couldn't get it to work because of various differences
between the two.  I didn't understand why you couldn't just do byte-
swapping in the appropriate order, but apparently that was not possible.

# Eduardo

				--*greywolf;

Resident UNIX Wizard [I make no assumptions about the title, by the way]
SiteROCK Corporation
Phone: 3847CFEA3
greywolf@siteROCK.com