Subject: Re: ISO image in snapshot not useful for install?
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/24/2000 11:53:29
    Date:        Mon, 23 Oct 2000 19:53:04 +0200 (MET DST)
    From:        Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>

  | I notice, however, that the SCSI cd driver does not bother to read the
  | actual label from the medium. You could try this:

Given that it never has, and that a change like that might have
unexpected side effects (even if just mysterious complaints about
not being able to read the label, every time someone accesses any
"normal" CD), perhaps the sparc port should simply have the old
style boot re-instated for use as the CD boot method (keeping what
is now there for floppy boot).

The "floopy image" for the CD boot doesn't have to bear any resemblance
to a floppy, so it would be OK to make it huge (say 4MB!) so there's
never going to be a problem fitting everything needed into it (only
perhaps making it boot in sparcs with only small amounts of RAM).

kre