Subject: re: sun4u-5 boot hangs...
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/23/2000 23:34:58
On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, matthew green wrote:

:    Move the device code, even locore, over to sys/arch/sparc.  Add the
:    sun4u-32bit (hypersparc-emulation) support to sys/arch/sparc/conf/GENERIC,
:    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:
: not sure exactly what this is supposed to mean...

sparc64 running in its 32-bit mode (which I've seen referred to as its
"hypersparc emulation mode" a bit on these lists -- in other words, its
v8plus mode).

: and i'm not sure i ever planned on merging the 32-bit code into sparc's
: GENERIC.

Then we're looking at something like sun3 and sun3x in their current state,
which is OK.  However, the one compiled from sparc/conf/GENERIC-ULTRA, or
whatever its name will be, should identify its MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH as
"sparc", since it's really pretending to do an entirely 32-bit dance (and
its native userland is also 32-bit).

:    obliterating sys/arch/sparc64/conf/GENERIC32 (which you seem to have planned
:
: actaully, this is so that we can maintain a single file and be able to build
: both 32-bit & 64-bit kernels.  conf/GENERIC .includes this file and then adds
: the 3 options necessary for 64 bit kernels.

Hm.  Perhaps this might be better done (using the split layout) with an
"update" target in the sparc64/conf/Makefile, which simply pulls the 32-bit
file, adds the options, so that it can be committed.  You then end up with
identical files, which can be copied and edited separately as different
types of machines.

:    already).  All you will have left in sys/arch/sparc64 is a "conf" directory
:    with "GENERIC", a full LP64 kernel that identifies itself as "sparc64".
:
: actually, i don't mind this all that much.

Well, `let's do it.'  :)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/