Subject: Re: ISO image in snapshot not useful for install?
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/23/2000 16:41:56
On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

: I downloaded the october 20 sparc ALPHA2 snapshot from:
:
: ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2/sparc/installation/cdrom/netbsd-sparc.iso
:
: burned it onto a CD, and booted it on a sparcstation 2; the kernel
: booted ok:

: found devices, etc., and then prompted for a root partition:

: "oops."

The best way to boot off of a CD (for installation purposes) is to use the
ramdisk-based sysint kernel (which in _ALPHA2 won't boot on a SS2, but
should work as of _BETA), and use that filesystem for mksunbootcd.  You will
then boot into sysinst and be able to mount the ISO/RockRidge partition
without a problem.

Right now, I don't think root filesystems of type cd9660 work correctly.  If
they do, you'd need to make a custom kernel, at least.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/