Subject: Re: Classic boot net-tpe help
To: Donald G. Knecht <msspal@gbso.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.cornell.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/21/2000 12:41:29
At 12:35 PM -0500 1/21/00, Donald G. Knecht wrote:

:)6.# /sbin/rarp -s client CC:CC:CC:CC:CC:CC
:)         If RARP is not compiled into your kernel, you will get one of
:)the two following error messages:
:)
:)         SIOCSRARP: Invalid argument
:)
:)does this mean that this error is normal or acceptable? or does this
:)mean i CANNOT run rarp as a loaded module?

This means that your linux machine is not running rarp.  This is not
acceptable, since you need rarp to boot your client.  As to a loaded module
or not, I don't know (perhaps you loaded it wrong or the rarp module
doesn't work), but if rarp doesn't run (for whatever reason), you can't
netboot a sparc client.

:)btw, the client (classic) reports no error messages as indicated by the
:)howto.

Well, I based those error messages on the errors reported by my hp300
system.  No doubt it's different for other platforms.

Good luck,
  -- MW