Subject: "le0: no carrier" on ss10 after install Solaris
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Dr. John Refling <refling@comet.lbl.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/01/2000 00:04:01
I have a sparcstation 10 which I had NetBSD running on for
a while (think it was 1.4.2).  This was running perfectly.
Then I installed solaris, to show to a friend.  That was running
well.  In both cases, the network worked fine.  Then in
reinstalled NetBSD 1.4.2, and every time at boot I get:

le0: controller failed to initialize
ledma0: error: CSR=a04600012 <ERR,DRAINING=0,IEN,DSBL_WR_INVAL>

I replaced the motherboard with another ss10.  Same thing.  I
changed the hub to the same one that worked before.  Changed
the cables.  Set tpe-linktest? true/false.  Same thing --- no
network.

If I boot single user mode, the TP link light is on, and when
I do the ifconfig inet xx.x.x.x netmask y.y.y.y it goes off.

When I boot using the install floppy, the network is fine and
I can ftp out of the machine (for example to reinstall the OS).

Anybody know what I did (or solaris did?) and how to fix it?

Thanks.