Subject: Re: Adding disks to a system
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/24/2000 19:20:27
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

>> considered expendable.  The only issue might be the amount of CPU cycles
>> he might lose, raid0 doesn't eat that many, but we are talking about an
>> IPC here with 25Mhz sun4c.
>
>	Which is why I suggested using ccd(4) to stripe the two disks -
>	that should outperform the higher overhead of the equivalent raid
>	configuration.

Yeah, you're right, ccd is probably his best bet if he must use an IPC
for a newsspool.  He might consider getting a better sparc though if he
wants to get decent performance out of this.  I don't know how many
users he plans to run off of it, if any, but it's not gonna be a speed
demon by any means.  Old ss5/10/20 machines are so cheap now!  Hell,
even some of the Ultras can be had for PC-like prices.  It's incredible.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying