Subject: Re: Adding disks to a system
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/24/2000 18:11:32
On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

>	Should be no problem, using ccd(4) to stripe the two disks.
>	You could use raid(4), but that is probably overkill.

For a newsfeed spool it's not overkill at all.  Those things eat I/O.
He would definitely benefit from raid0 striping.  There is however
little point in adding in other raid levels since newsfeed data is
considered expendable.  The only issue might be the amount of CPU cycles
he might lose, raid0 doesn't eat that many, but we are talking about an
IPC here with 25Mhz sun4c.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying