Subject: Re: i cant get a console
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/23/2000 03:19:18
On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 11:07:28PM -0400, James Sharp wrote:

>  > > i have a sparc 2 and i cant get a console... what should i do?
>  >
>  > I don't know anything about SS2s, but a friend had a SS1 he salvaged from
>  > work recently that he couldn't get anything to display on the monitor when
>  > he switched it on. Turns out it defaulted to serial console.
>  >

> Stick a terminal on serial port A.  Set it to 9600 baud, 8N1.  You may
> or may not need a null modem adapter between, depending on if your
> terminal cable thinks its for a DTE or DCE.  Try it with or without
> the null modem.
>
> Pull the framebuffer out if you can...that'll force it over to serial
> console.
>
> If you still don't get data out the serial port after trying that, you
> may have a toasty machine.

Not sure if you're responding to my SS1 problems or his SS2 ones, but yes,
we just plugged a laptop into the serial port at 9600 n81 and viola. SunOS
4.1.3 booted. I've since installed NetBSD 1.4.2 on it though. (It does have
a few problems with ram, some banks seems to not work so I've only got 8mb
in it)

--
-Simon Raahauge DeSantis