Subject: Re: i cant get a console
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: James Sharp <jsharp@psychoses.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/22/2000 23:07:28
 > > i have a sparc 2 and i cant get a console... what should i do?
 >
 > I don't know anything about SS2s, but a friend had a SS1 he salvaged from
 > work recently that he couldn't get anything to display on the monitor when
 > he switched it on. Turns out it defaulted to serial console.

Stick a terminal on serial port A.  Set it to 9600 baud, 8N1.  You may
or may not need a null modem adapter between, depending on if your
terminal cable thinks its for a DTE or DCE.  Try it with or without
the null modem.

Pull the framebuffer out if you can...that'll force it over to serial
console.

If you still don't get data out the serial port after trying that, you
may have a toasty machine.