Subject: Re: Anyone using NetBSD/sparc on an SS10 please read
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/21/2000 17:44:44
>> Booting the miniroot from 1.4.2 didn't work.
If memory serves, I got message about the file just loaded not being
executable

>> Booting the miniroot from 1.5_ALPHA2 didn't work.
If memory serves, I got message about the file just loaded not being
executable.  I have since re-tried the 1.5_ALPHA2 miniroot and gotten it to
boot.  I'm now fighting through PR install/10942.

>> Netbooting from the 1.4.2 distribution hasn't worked.
The SPARCstation console shows the following:

SPARCstation 10 (1 X 390Z55), No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.10, 64 MB memory installed, Serial #3155464.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:1a:d6:47, Host ID: 72302608.

Initializing Memory

Rebooting with command: net
Boot device: /iommu/sbus/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000   File and args:

13c00
>> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.8
>> (toddpw@threepio.toddpw.net, Fri Mar  3 17:51:31 PST 2000)
boot: client IP address: 172.25.4.22
boot: client name: hw-sbus
Can't open NFS network connection on
`/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000'
open: netbsd: Unknown error: code 72: trying netbsd.gz...
Can't open NFS network connection on
`/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000'
open: netbsd.gz: Unknown error: code 23: trying netbsd.old...
Can't open NFS network connection on
`/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000'
open: netbsd.old: Unknown error: code 23: trying netbsd.old.gz...
Can't open NFS network connection on
`/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000'
open: netbsd.old.gz: Unknown error: code 23: trying onetbsd...
Can't open NFS network connection on
`/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000'
open: onetbsd: Unknown error: code 23: trying onetbsd.gz...
Can't open NFS network connection on
`/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000'
open: onetbsd.gz: Unknown error: code 23: trying vmunix...
Can't open NFS network connection on
`/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000'
open: vmunix: Unknown error: code 23
device[/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000]
("halt" to halt): halt
Program terminated
Type  help  for more information
ok

I didn't include all of the necessary info to debug because I was just
trying to find someone who has seen the miniroot work on an SS10.  So far,
I have not received notice of anyone using the miniroot.  Netboot and
floppy seem to be more popular loading methods.