Subject: Re: low-level scsi format program?
To: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/20/2000 10:04:04
> alas, a missing program (or it's hidden really well).
>
> On my other platforms I have tools for doing a low-level format of a
> drive.  (AIX, Solaris and even NEXTSTEP included)  Is there such a critter
> either cleverly named an otherwise undocumented or supposed to be in the
> pkg's?
>
> as a collector of drives that other folks have dumped, this does come in
> handy.

This is a crude fix, but, I keep a VAX 31xx series machine in the corner
just for running test 75 low level formats on misc. scsi drives.  That
has proven to be the best way to do that for all my machines.  It's
idiotically simple, it runs from the prom, it works.....  It also allows
me to work on the target machine(s) while the format runs.

Bob