Subject: Re: removal of base packages
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: m0rph <jheath@istrength.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/19/2000 12:22:16
"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> [ On Tuesday, September 19, 2000 at 14:54:46 (+0200), Manuel Bouyer wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: removal of base packages
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 05:46:50PM -0500, m0rph wrote:
> > > Hi, I am new to NetBSD and BSD in general. I would like to remove some
> > > packages that I installed during the NetBSD installation e.g. sendmail.
> > > I have seen FreeBSD has a util under /stand called sysinst. I cannot
> > > find such a util on NetBSD. Can someone tell me how I can accomplish
> > > this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> > If it's part of the base install then the only way is to remove the binaries
> > you don't need by hand (e.g. rm /usr/libexec/sendmail/*)
>
> The trick is in finding the list of files to be removed.  However so
> long as a copy of the original .tgz file is available then it's very
> easy to create such a list and use it to remove the unwanted files.
> Something like the following should do it:
>
>         rm $(pax -zf games.tgz | sed 's|^\.||')
>
> --
>                                                         Greg A. Woods
>
> +1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
> Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>

Thanks for the script I will give this a try. I was going the route of
'tar tfz misc.tgz | grep sendmail' then 'rm' the results. This should
help a little more. Also thanks to Manuel Bouyer for the following:
"NetBSD has a package management system but it's only used for
third-party software for now. Using it for the base install too is in
the pipeline, and should be here for 1.6."
A good part of any system is the user base/community and you guys have
been much help. Thanks

--Justin Heath