Subject: re: Cache and Ethernet Info request
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/16/2000 02:44:14

   be is supported, although its performance is rather lackluster at the
   moment.  I use a be at home in an SS5 with no problems (other that
   lackluster performance ;-)  From what I hear the hme is not yet a great
   performer, although that was a few months ago - things may have changed.

hmm... i have a be in my SS2 i'll hae to test out (now that i can connect
it (cross over) to other 100mbit ethernet devices at home).  one of the
problems with 'be' is that it isn't a full duplex device.  it is also
well-known that it (the hardware) sucks and is slow (under solaris).

hme not great?  i was getting over 6MB/sec through mine (on a U5) with
ttcp to my alpha (pc164 -- 500mhz) with a tlp card (cross over).  not
*too* bad at all...