Subject: Re: Cache and Ethernet Info request
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/2000 06:23:10
On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Thomas Michael Wanka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got a SS20 offered that uses a 60MHz. 1MB Supercache. Is there
> any way for me to tell if the cache bug is present in this machine
> without installing NetBSD? What will a faster CPU bring, I do not
> care about a minute or two more or less for a kernel compile (like I
> do not care about a couple of 100MHz. more or less on x86).
>
> The independent Sbus drivers page reports le, be, en as supported,
> the FAQ says be is not supported. I think I will try to get a hme and
> use current.

be is supported, although its performance is rather lackluster at the
moment.  I use a be at home in an SS5 with no problems (other that
lackluster performance ;-)  From what I hear the hme is not yet a great
performer, although that was a few months ago - things may have changed.

Hope this helps,

-Jon
 "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."
 "Zing, zing zing zing!"
 "Keep away from the trout."