Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc (turning off idle page zeroing)
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/2000 08:00:52
On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 07:44:02PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > >(actually applies to Microsparc 1 machines only).
> >
> You most certainly should be doign page zeroing in the idle loop, too.
>
> And I agree with you on this one. Has anyone picked up the Linux/PPC hack for
> doing pagezero's bypassing the cache?

Hmm, what's the real problem here - why does the cache need to be disabled?
You may know that in i386 port, there was a problem that Cyrix CPU's kept
crashing with the idle pagezero code.  The problem is said to be fixed (I
had to switch CPU's long before the fix).  Are these two problems (Cyrix
and Microsparc 1) related?  (No, I haven't got a Microsparc, I'm just
curious..)

  -jm