Subject: Re: Graphics card
To: David Pettersson <dave@se.linux.org>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/12/2000 11:24:18
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, David Pettersson wrote:

> ** This might be a bit off topic, I'm sorry if so
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just successfully managed to install NetBSD 1.4.2 on my SPARCstation
> 4, and I am pleased to say that everything works just fine, and well over
> expectations. The only downside as I see it, is that Netscape isn't
> available (I thought of Mozilla, but being a modem-user, downloading
> isn't a viable option :).
>
> Credits to all of the developers involved.
>
> Anyway, what I really was wondering, and what might be off-topic, is whether
> or not it is possible to upgrade the graphics hardware in the SS4 by
> inserting some sort fancier card. Anyone know whether this is possible, and
> perhaps how it is done?
>
> Any help/info is appreciated (please post replies to me only, unless of
> general interest).

If you still have your 1 SBus slot (8^) available you could probably go as
high as a TGX (cgsix) card.  Just buy the card, open the case and stick it
in.  And plug the monitor into the new card.  You may need to set your
PROM's `output-device' variable to point to the new frame buffer, but most
PROMs do that automagically when you plug the card in.

But that's probably not going to be a tremendous improvement.  Your
biggest problem is an extremely slow CPU.

Eduardo Horvath