Subject: Re: What's "Can't find /packages" mean?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/07/2000 18:37:19
On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Greywolf wrote:

: Did all that.  back to sd@3,0 == 1GB ST31200W, and it works.
: sd@1,0, still a ST32171W, reports Cannot find /packages.

This may sound insanely weird, but does sd@1 have a disklabel that has all
partitions on *exact* cylinder boundaries?  That is, when looking at the
output of "disklabel sdN", nothing in the partitions looks like this:

  c:  4196405     1000     unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    1 - 4197*)

(the '*' indicates 'not on a cylinder boundary'; sparc disks should NEVER
have '*'s in the cylinder number comments)

I *know* I've seen "The file just loaded does not appear to be executable"
for a disk with bad partitions, and I may have seen "Cannot find /packages"
before too, but it's been a while since I've dealt with that much sparc
hw....

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/