Subject: Re: What's "Can't find /packages" mean?
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/07/2000 08:48:01
On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:

# > # Hm.  I suspect that your prom is hozed.  You can try `set-defaults' and
# > # clearing out the nvramrc.  You can also try resetting the machine and
# > # holding down L1-N or L1-D.  Also look in the nvram FAQ and see if it has
# > # any suggestions for your vertion of the PROM.
# >
# > Version 2.29, FWIW.  I'm not finding anything pertaining to "packages".
#
# I meant you should look into the instructions for resetting your PROM's
# NVRAM.

no, no, I got that part.

# However if you can boot from one disk but not the other then it's
# something else.
#
# I did a quick visual inspection of the sources for the bootloaders and
# did not find any reference to `/packages'.  However that was not very
# thourough.  Try using `strings' on the bootblocks and see if anything has
# `packages' in it.

And, yes, it does that before it starts booting, so I'm not saying it's
a NetBSD problem.  Just thought I'd ask here first in case anyone had had
similar experiences.

I've got a mail off to the NVRAM FAQ's author, so we'll see what happens.

# Eduardo Horvath

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: A drinking group with a serious computing problem.