Subject: Re: JavaStation
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/07/2000 16:15:12
On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 07:33:48 +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> It has OpenBoot 3.11.1 ...

> Now when I switch on the JavaStation, it requests its IP
> address and boot filename via DHCP, then loads the boot loader
> via TFTP, and then -- it reboots.  :-(   There are no messages
> or anything, just a black screen.  It does not even try to load
> the kernel or anything else.  The acknowledgement for the last
> TFTP packet of the boot loader is the last packet that hits the
> network (I can provide tcpdump logs if that's helpful).

I had JS1 with OpenBoot 2.30 running ok.  But I gave it to a friend
and pulled out another JS1 from closet and it has OpenBoot 3.11.2 and
exhibits the same behavior.

If I pull keyboard out of it and listen at the serial console then it says:

    Data Access Exception

and resets after it downloads boot.net over tftp.

PROLL boots the Linux kernel ok to the point where kerlnel wants root
fs (I haven't bothered to make a complete image with embeded root), so
the hardware is fine.

That previous JS1 (with OBP 2.30) was my only NetBSD/sparc box here,
so I currently can't do much to test things, but I'll probably have an
SS1 soon.

SY, Uwe