Subject: Re: tadpole: com0 working?
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/06/2000 21:18:29
ingolf@jena-optronik.de on Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 09:39:01AM +0200
> > It is but it doesn't work right.  I've never figured out why.
>
> What are the symtoms? What can I do to debug this (sample
> /etc/remote entry; or simply: which tty should I use)?

The symptom I see is that if you send anything to the modem, you get garbage
back.  Sometimes you see the modem response in there too.  I seem to
remember that the garbage contained some of the tctrl information.  Also,
I think the probe says 16550, while the documentation says 16450.

If you want to try talking to the modem, make sure you have the device
in /dev - `sh /dev/MAKEDEV ttyC0` and then you can try talking to it, e.g.
`cu -l /dev/ttyC0 dir`.

I wonder if the problem has anything to do with setting or clearing various
bits in the auxio registers (this may also apply to the external mouse).
Ignore the documentation though - it appears to document what the registers
do in a normal Sun4m and not in the Sparcbook.  Maybe modifying the code
in sys/arch/sparc/sparc/auxiotwo.c to enable setting or clearing (currently)
unused bits will help.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/