Subject: Re: What's "Can't find /packages" mean?
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/06/2000 10:52:33
On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:

# On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Greywolf wrote:
#
# > Took out the 1GB Seagate and put in a 4GB Fujitsu.  "boot disk1 -s"
# > returns "Can't find /packages".  "boot" returns "The file just loaded
# > does not appear to be executable".
# >
# > "boot disk2" also returns "Can't find /packages".
#
# I presume this happens before the kernel manages to get loaded?

Yep.

The funny thing is that even when I switched sd@3,0 and sd@1,0, the disk
that WAS sd@1,0 STILL fails with the same message!

# `/packages' is an Open Firmware node that contains some utility things
# like disklabel reading packages.  This exists on version 3.x OBP and
# possibly on version 2.x OBP.  For instance:

Yeah, I caught that after sifting through bits and pieces of memory
pertaining to this information that I'd seen bandied about some time
ago (.properties failed but .attributes ("Ah, _that_'s it!") worked, i.e.).

# Something is trying to find or or open a node in `/packages' and is
# failing.  I can't find any direct references to `packages' in any of the
# NetBSD bootloaders, but they may use that indirectly through the OBP
# client interface.

Yeah, it initialises memory and then I get that message.

# So check to make sure that the correct bootblock and
# 2nd stage bootloader is installed on that machine.  You may have
# installed the sparc64 version by mistake since it is now provided on
# sparc machines as well.

Actually, it's a 1.4 bootblock ...here, lemme get you the strings from that
box.

	NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot
	Wed Mar  1 21:44:30 MET 2000
	pk@sam

[can't divine version strings, sorry]

# Eduardo Horvath

				--*greywolf;

	/* Need OpenSource servers?  Try BSD - Solid as a Rock. */