Subject: Re: What's "Can't find /packages" mean?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/06/2000 08:37:22
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Greywolf wrote:

> Took out the 1GB Seagate and put in a 4GB Fujitsu.  "boot disk1 -s"
> returns "Can't find /packages".  "boot" returns "The file just loaded
> does not appear to be executable".
>
> "boot disk2" also returns "Can't find /packages".

I presume this happens before the kernel manages to get loaded?

`/packages' is an Open Firmware node that contains some utility things
like disklabel reading packages.  This exists on version 3.x OBP and
possibly on version 2.x OBP.  For instance:

ok cd /
ok ls
f007ec78 SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi@0,0
f0066fa8 pci@1f,0
f004fe04 virtual-memory
f004f824 memory@0,0
f002dac4 aliases
f002da54 options
f002d91c openprom
f002d8b0 chosen
f002d840 packages
ok cd packages
ok ls
f0078464 sun-keyboard
f0060844 SUNW,builtin-drivers
f0054280 cdfs
f0052b3c ufs-file-system
f004221c disk-label
f0038334 obp-tftp
f0037c70 deblocker
f0034aa0 terminal-emulator

Something is trying to find or or open a node in `/packages' and is
failing.  I can't find any direct references to `packages' in any of the
NetBSD bootloaders, but they may use that indirectly through the OBP
client interface.  So check to make sure that the correct bootblock and
2nd stage bootloader is installed on that machine.  You may have
installed the sparc64 version by mistake since it is now provided on
sparc machines as well.

Eduardo Horvath