Subject: Re: SS2 w/ Power uP
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/26/2000 13:25:55
On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 06:02:12PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> I've been able to pull the SIMMS out with a screwdriver between the simm
> and the socket, to escape the socket's lock of the SIMM hole.

  On the SS2s that I've used the SIMMs stick up enough so that at least some
of the hole in the SIMM is visible.  Get a sturdy paperclip (one of the big
buggers) and mangle it so that you have a little lever at one end.  Stick the
end through the hole in the SIMM and use the bend in the metal to push down
on the SIMM socket, thus pulling up on the SIMM.  Works pretty well although
you have to keep re-bending the paperclip.
  NeXT shipped a tool with some of its machines that's basically a dental
pick.  It works even better than the paperclip trick since the pick won't bend
or cause problems.

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
PhD Student, Computer/Synth Junkie         http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/