Subject: Re: Sparc graphics and other random ramblings...
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Kurt J. Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/14/2000 18:12:25
On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 03:48:14PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On August 14, Kurt J. Lidl wrote:
> > Another way to think of it like this -- the total number of sbus based
> > sparcs in the world is now probably at its maximum.  As they break,
> > die and are destroyed over the next couple of years, this number will
> > only go down.
>
>   Of course this is correct...but yet another way to look at this is
> this: DEC stopped making MicroVAX-II systems a LONG time ago.  They're
> still all over the place.

And they are all still slow :-)

> Someone (a Sun employee) once told me that Sun sold more SS1 machines
> (SS1 alone, that is) than all models of Sun3 computers combined.

I've heard this story.

I've also seen (coming from the sun website directly) that they sold
more Ultrasparc CPUs in first three years of the Ultrasparc's
introduction than they had sold sun4[cm] based processors in total.

It's good to see their production is ramping up.  (Although I was
curious about their wording on this accomplishment -- my thought at
the time was that "gee -- it's easy to ship more chips when you stuff
32 or 64 of them at a time into a big server".)

Anyway -- Sun is definately getting better at shipping more product.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprized to see that the number of PCI
sparcs already outweighed the number of Sbus sparcs out there in the
world.

-Kurt