Subject: Re: Sparc graphics and other random ramblings...
To: Gerald Richter <glassman1@neonshadow.net>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/14/2000 09:02:22
On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Gerald Richter wrote:

> ... Has anyone contemplated the idea of making an sbus card with a
> modern chipset? :o) I think it'd be cool to have like a double wide sbus
> card with a voodoo 2 or TNT chipset...

There's little point in trying to get new chipsets running on SBus
cards.  It's a bit like putting a set of modern high performance racing
tires on a model T.  The host machines and backplanes usually can't handle
it.

If you want better performance you should go with a PCI machine and use
the PCI cards, or go whole hog and use UPA graphics adapters.

Eduardo Horvath