Subject: Mr Coffee Javastations
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Guy Antony Halse <guy@rucus.ru.ac.za>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/11/2000 12:13:58
Hiya

I have two javastations (Mr Coffees) that I have still yet to get to boot
NetBSD completely. One of them will boot, and run multiuser, with everything
working fine except the console keyboard. The other will not even boot the
net.boot image.

Both these javastations are identical in physical appearance, but behave
_very_ differently. Since there has been a fair bit of talk of javastations
on this list, I thought I would mention the differences - in the hope that
someone can help me to get them both working :)

The first one (which belongs to our university and was bought circa 1997),
boots NetBSD fine, and does everything except let me use the console
keyboard. It uses rarp and bootparams to find out its boot details. It does
not give me an ok prompt, and does not require an intermediate prol to get
it to boot either linux or NetBSD.

The second one (which belongs to a local school, and was donated by sun
circa 1998) boots linux (but only if I supply an intermediate prol). It uses
dhcp to find out its boot details, and will not boot NetBSD at all (it gives
me a data exception error and reboots). It gives me an ok prompt and allows
me to look at its environment, etc.

The first one has the following configuration;

The motherboard has two stickers; one saying '5013141003404' and the other
saying;
made in uk @ D2D
dash 05 rev 50
wk/yr 37/96

There is a sticker on the power supply unit saying '540-2866-01 rev 03'

The prom has an orange sticker with the following;
525-1657-01
barcode: 81bd29

On the underside of the javastation, the label says;
part #: jj-32
serial #: 647c001e

The second one has the following;

The motherboard has two stickers, one saying '5013141016104' and the other
saying;
made in uk @ D2D
dash 06 rev 50
wk/yr 25/97

There is a sticker on the psu saying '540-2866-03 rev 50'

The prom has an orange sticker with the following;
525-1657-01
barcode: 880cc7

On the underside of the javastation, the label says;
part #: jj-32-50
serial #: 738c0685

The interesting differences here are different part numbers, and different
revisions numbers - making it appear that there were at least two distinctly
different versions of the software on the prom. The netbsd net boot
documentation is compatible with the earlier version, and not with the
later.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix the keyboard problem on the
one, or how to get the other one to boot NetBSD at all, please let me know
... linux is starting to drive me mad ;-)

- Guy
--
              \\\\  Mon Dieu! Nous sommes dans la merde  ////
| The ideas and opinions expressed | Rhodes University, South Africa | J
| above are mine, not yours. They  | Email: guy@rucus.ru.ac.za       | A
| could be for a small fee though. | http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~guy  | P