Subject: Re: Only root can exec anything?
To: Pekka Juhani Honkanen <phonkane@cc.hut.fi>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/10/2000 17:39:36
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Pekka Juhani Honkanen wrote:

>Err... thanks! Wasn't exactly that but I noticed that the directory just
>above the root fs mount point was mode 0750. I changed that to 0755 and
>I can run ksh now. Paranoid me, trying to avoid security holes since the
>server has quite different uids/gids.

If you're running diskless machines you really should consider managing
the authentication through NIS so that UIDs/GIDs will be common between
clients and servers.  It'll save you many permissions related headaches.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying