Subject: Re: Only root can exec anything?
To: Pekka Juhani Honkanen <phonkane@cc.hut.fi>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@siteROCK.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/10/2000 13:08:56
On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Pekka Juhani Honkanen wrote:

# Hello!
#
# Just got a SS1+ to play with, so I decided to make it a diskless X terminal.
# I read the sparc diskless howto and set up my Linux server for the job.
# Everything is just fine, except that no one but root (and toor) and execute
# any file. I must be missing something too simple here... I can login, but
# not execute my shell (I get login: /bin/ksh: Permission denied). I can ftp
# in, retrieve files but I cannot list a directory.

Are you sure the execute bits are set properly (i.e. they're not
something like mode 0744 (-rwxr--r--))?

Are you sure your linux server isn't exporting (or your SPARCstation
isn't mounting) with the -noexec flag?

Probably not applicable to the root filesystem, but are you sure the
permissions on the root of the underlying mount points match those of the
directories under which they are mounted?  Funny things happen when the
root of /dev/sd0g is mode 0755 and the mode of /usr (before mounting) is
0700.

#
# Now what? I am really out of ideas - suggestions would be really appreciated!
#

				--*greywolf;

	/* Need OpenSource servers?  Try BSD - Solid as a Rock. */