Subject: Re: sbus FDDI cards?
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/08/2000 16:40:37
On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Michael Wolfson wrote:

> At 1:25 PM -0700 8/8/00, Greg Earle wrote:
>
> :)As for supporting them in NetBSD ... one word: "100baseT"
>
> That's not really all that great an option.  I don't know how fast the
> be-based cards are, but the hme-based cards are slower in 100Base-T mode
> than in 10Base-T mode.
> <http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2000/07/24/0001.html>
>
> Granted, it's great that hme is finally supported, but until someone tunes
> the driver, we shouldn't raise peoples' expectations.

And, of course, we don't get large (>1500) MTUs, redundancy options
(DAS), the huge range and RFI immunity which fiber provides, and lots of
cool orange and yellow fiber connecting to neat looking pieces of
equipment with lots of blinking lights.

Plus, sbus FDDI adapters are usually a bunch less $ than an hme.

And they're fun ;-)

-Jon
 "Hey - this old machine screams like a snail on acid!" - (a true
  comment by a fellow who recently installed NetBSD on an old server)