Subject: Re: sbus FDDI cards?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/08/2000 13:25:07
>> Do you know if the Cisco sbus FDDI cards are the essentially rebadged
>> NPIs?  I'd heard that they were, but never having held one in my hand I'm
>> still a bit dubious.
>
> I've never seen one, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if they were
> the same card.
>
> After grunging through the Cisco webserver, I see they have support for
> downloadable firmware upgrades of their FDDI/CDDI adaptors, which I
> don't remember ever seeing any reference to with the NPI based SBus
> adaptors.  Based on this, I would guess they are not the same hardware.

The Cisco SBus FDDI/CDDI cards were Crescendo cards.  Cisco bought Crescendo
some time back, and promptly EOL'd the cards soon thereafter.  We've been
EOL'ing systems left and right at work that had these cards in them, hooked
up to Cisco (nee Crescendo) FDDI/CDDI switches.

As for supporting them in NetBSD ... one word: "100baseT"

	- Greg