Subject: Re: Disk striping with NetBSD
To: Miles Nordin <nordinm@Colorado.EDU>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/22/2000 16:50:54
On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 06:33:30PM -0600, Miles Nordin wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:
>
> > having swap on two different drives / buses should give me some
> > performance advantage
>
> How does NetBSD use multiple swap partitions?  If one has two disks for
> swapping, which is wiser:  to make two separate swap partitions and
> swapon(8) both of them, or to make a striped swap partition?

Definitively use 2 swap partitions: by default the system will swap on
both and you'll have the same effect as a stripped partition.
Howver if you have disks of different speed you can change priorities so
that the system will start using the slower disk only when the faster one
is full.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>