Subject: Disk striping with NetBSD
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Anthony DeLorenzo <gonzo@vex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/21/2000 18:56:26
Hello,

First question.  Is there a package available to do software-based
disk striping with NetBSD?

The machine is a SparcStation 2 (80 mhz) using the internal SCSI
bus and an additional sbus SCSI controller.  I have two identical
1 GB drives, one 2 GB drive, and a CD-ROM for SCSI devices.  Please
note -- I realize that this machine isn't the fastest.  I'm doing
this to experiment, not to try to put my SS2 up against an Ultra 10.

In terms of performance, would it be a good idea to use the two
1 gb disks on different controllers and stripe them?  Or would
I be better off just mounting different filesystems on them?  In
either case, how would I best lay out the various filesystems
(including swap) across my drives?

What I had roughly been considering is something like this:

Bus 1, Disk 1: 32MB swap, mount the rest as /
Bus 2, Disk 1: 32MB swzp, mount the rest as /usr
Bus 1, CDROM
Bus 2, 2gb drive mounted as /home (for mass storage)

I understand that having swap on two different drives / buses should
give me some performance advantage, and the same thing with splitting
/ and /usr.  Also, I haven't yet decided wether or not to install X.
If I did, I would imagine that I might have to make some changes.

Any suggestions or ideas for filesystem layout would be appreciated.
THe machine itself is just a general purpose workstation, as well as
running some minor inet tasks.  No heavy server loads or anything.

Thanks for any comments,

Tony
--
# Anthony DeLorenzo <drgonzo@canada.com>